Thursday, June 7, 2007

Talk to me!

Good news, friends! I am the proud owner of the most economically priced mobile phone in East Africa. Here's how this phone purchase went down: I handed a young woman some shillings. She proceeded to smile, laugh, and hand me an Etch-A-Sketch with an antenna. I said, "Thank you, nyabo," and scampered away.

If you feel like giving me a call, you can reach me anytime at (get ready for this): 2560712881383. I would really enjoy talking to you. Here's how many of my day to day conversations go in Kampala:

What?
What?
WHAT?
...
What?
(Smiles and gestures)

I can also receive text messages, but I haven't mastered the two white knobs yet. There's no telling whether or not you will understand my reply.

I talked to my parents today and they really appreciate all of the support you are giving both them and me. I appreciate it, too.

Oh, here's a good story: In Uganda, you can buy your own malaria testing kit. It's like a home pregnancy test in that you have to decode a series of colored lines to understand your results. It's not like a pregnancy test in that you have to draw your own blood with a giant needle. I tried to do it myself, but I just couldn't do it. I kept laughing. My roommate Kevin tried but we both kept laughing and I made him stop trying after he said, "I think I heard it work." That didn't make any sense. After fifteen minutes of screaming and laughing, Liz eventually got enough blood out of my finger to let us know that I don't have malaria. So, that's what I did today.

That's all the news I have for today. Please feel free to give me a call, and check back here often. I am going to add some pictures tomorrow.

Words of the day:
Nyabo: Mam
Sebo: Sir

Cheers,
Joey

2 comments:

Katie said...

The malaria story cracked me up. And what a phone number! Hope your workshop/sightseeing trip is fun.

Anonymous said...

I like your malaria story too. For some reason it reminded me of Jim Gibbs in HS when he got his finger pricked so they could draw his blood and he passed out.

Team Extreme is planning on coming back in August when you get back so we can rock out.

Dont get Malaria.