Friday, August 17, 2007

On Insomnia

It's five in the morning and I'm sitting alone in front of my laptop, watching the cursor blink. Here's what I've learned today.

We're broken and we're lonely. We can't do this on our own. Not for long. So we look for comfort and peace wherever we can find it. We think we'll find it in a partner, friends, stuff, work, etc. We won't, though. It's unfair to our loved ones to place on them the burden of making us complete. They can't do it.

The truth is that when we are lonely and desperate for comfort and relief, the only place we will ever be satisfied is in the arms of God himself. Everything else only adds to the torment.

I believe that if we trust God with our lives, then everything will fall into place. I hope that's true, because I'm clinging to it.

1 comment:

~lady j said...

i am too.
clinging to it, i mean.
i don't do a very good job of it.
i'm slipperyish.

but being reminded i'm not alone in my clinging and my falling and my starting all over again--

that helps. a lot.